Diversity in Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity: A Developmental Perspective for Inclusive and Affirmative Care
Workshop Dates: November 16-17, 2019
(Located inside of the Tampa Airport)
12 CE Cultural Competency/Diversity for Psychologists
This introductory workshop facilitated by Ady Ben-Israel, Ph.D. and Sonya Lott, Ph.D. is designed to provide an overview of the diversity that exists in sexual orientation and gender identity throughout the lifespan. Participants will have opportunities to practice mindfulness and cultural humility in exploring their own biases and assumptions related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
Emphasis will be placed on the negative impact of prejudice and discrimination (much of it legal) on the physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of LBGTQ individuals. The workshop will also focus on best practices for providing inclusive and affirmative care at different ages, based on the APA Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Clients (2011) and Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People (2014).
Target Audience: Psychologists and other mental health professionals.
At the end of the 2-day workshop participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to practice mindfulness and cultural humility during the workshop, particularly when analyzing the impact of one’s own attitudes and beliefs about sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
- Explain why gender identity and sexual orientation are both non-binary constructs that allows for a range of identities over time.
- Describe the distinctions between gender identities and sexual orientations as well as their interrelatedness.
- Describe the impact of gender dysphoria and the expression of gender expansiveness in childhood and identify two available affirmative responses.
- Describe the impact of gender dysphoria and the expression of gender expansiveness during adolescence and identify available affirmative treatment approaches.
- Explain why sexual expression during adolescence isn’t a predictable indicator of sexual orientation.
- Describe the impact of other cultural identities on gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Describe the impact that changes in gender identity and/or expression may have on romantic, parental, and familial relationships.
- Discuss three of the unique challenges that gender expansive and transgender older adults’ experience and available affirmative responses.
- Describe how prejudice, discrimination, and violence negatively affect the overall well-being of lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, and gender expansive individuals and communities.
- Discuss the need for advocacy to reduce prejudice, discrimination, and violence that negatively affects the overall well-being of lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, and gender expansive individuals and communities.
- Discuss the importance of using a strength-based approach when working with and advocating for lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, and gender expansive individuals.
- Explain the importance of utilizing an interdisciplinary approach and working collaboratively with other providers (such as medical staff and social workers) to ensure comprehensive care of transgender and gender expansive clients.
CEMPSYCH, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CEMPSYCH, LLC maintains responsibility for all programming and content. CEMPSYCH, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
For other mental health professionals, please contact your licensing board to determine the requirements for continuing education.
The 12 CE in cultural competence/diversity are for full attendance on both days of the workshop. Within 3 days after the completion of the workshop, participants who attended the both days for the workshop for the full 12 hours will receive via email a URL for the completion of the workshop evaluation. Within three days after completion of the evaluation, your certificate of attendance will be emailed to you.
Refund request received no later than October 25, 2019 will be honored-minus a 10% administrative fee. Requests via email at email@example.com No shows will not be reimbursed.
Workshop Schedule-November 16-17, 2019
8 AM-9 AM-Workshop Check-in
9 AM-10:30 AM-Workshop
10:30 AM-10:45 AM-Break
10:45 AM -12:15 PM-Workshop
12:15 PM-1:45 PM-Lunch Buffet (included in registration fee)
1:45 PM-3:15 PM Workshop
3:15 PM-3:30 PM-Break
3:30 PM-5:00 PM-Workshop
12 CE Cultural Competency/Diversity