This introductory 2-hour live webinar will focus on the core areas of multicultural competence as outlined by the American Psychological Association (APA) and the American Counseling Association (ACA). These core areas include:
- increased awareness of one’s own attitudes, beliefs, assumptions, and biases created through the socialization process and their experiences with privilege and marginalization (worldview)
- increased awareness of the clients’ and others’ attitudes, beliefs, assumptions, and biases created through the socialization process and our experiences with privilege and marginalization (worldview)
- understanding of the impact of the therapist’s and client’s worldviews on the counseling relationship
- understanding the ways in which oppression is embedded and perpetuated in all the systems of which we are a part of and
- advocacy action with and on behalf of clients at the individual, community, institutional, public policy, and international/global levels.
The concepts of intersectionality and multicultural competence as an ongoing learning experience will also be explored. Participants will also learn about the multicultural orientation framework, why it is essential to multicultural competence, and the challenges associated with cultivating this orientation.
At the end of this live webinar, the learner will be able to:
- describe the core areas of multicultural competencies as outlined by the American Psychological Association and the American Counseling Association.
- explain why understanding oneself as multicultural being is the foundation of multicultural competence
- describe the concept of intersectionality
- describe the three components of a multicultural orientation
- explain why cultural humility is the foundation of a multicultural orientation
- explain why a multicultural orientation is required to adhere to the multicultural guidelines
- discuss two challenges to cultivating a multicultural orientation
Facilitator: Sonya Lott, Ph.D.
Target Audience: Psychologists and other licensed mental health professionals (LCSW, LPC, LMFT).
CEMPSYCH, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CEMPSYCH, LLC maintains responsibility for all programming and content.
All other mental health professionals (LMFT, LCSW, LPC, etc.) must check with the governing state licensing boards to determine eligibility for CEs.
No commercial support was provided for this CE program, instructors, or any of its content of instruction.